Welcome to the WRIT Center blog!

Welcome to our new blog! You can also visit us at www.delta.edu/writingcenter and email us at writingcenter@delta.edu.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

How do I...? Words that Sound Alike (Spelling)

Many words sound alike but have different meanings when put into writing. This post will help distinguish between some of the more common words we see that sound alike.

Words:


Accept/Except

    • Accept: Verb-to receive or agree:   I accepted the letter that was delivered yesterday.
    • Except: Preposition-all but or other than:  Everyone went to school except John.
Affect/Effect
  • Affect: Verb-to influence: Lack of study may affect your grades.
  • Effect: 
    • Noun-Result or consequence:  Lack of study may have an effect on your grades.
    • Verb-to bring about; to accomplish:  The efforts of lobbyists have effected major change in our nation's policy.

Advise/Advice
  • Advise: Verb-to recommend, suggest, or counsel:  I advise you to not take too many courses.
  • Advice: Noun-an opinion, recommendation about what could or should be done: I need your advice on what classes I could take.
Conscious/Conscience
  • Conscious: Adjective-awake, perceiving: Although I was knocked very hard on my head, I remained conscious during this ordeal.
  • Conscience: Noun-A sense of obligation to do good: My conscience was not allowing me to lie to my parents about my grades.
Idea/Ideal
  • Idea: Noun-a thought, belief or conception held in the mind; a general notion or conception formed by generalization: My idea for this project was to research home prices.
  • Ideal:
    • Noun-someone or something embodies perfection; the ultimate object or endeavor: Jon was the ideal for the rest of the student body.
    • Adjective-embodying an ultimate standard for excellence or perfection; the best: Bob was the ideal father.
Its/It's
  • Its: Possessive adjective (possessive of it): The dog stood on its hind legs.
  • It's: Contraction for it is or it has: It's still raining; it's been raining for two days now.
Lead/Lead
  • Lead: Noun- metallic element: The pipes had to be replaced because they were made of lead.
  • Led: Past tense ot the verb to lead (to guide or direct): He led the dog back to his parents' home.
Than/Then
  • Than:
    • Used in comparison: She is a better writer than I am.
    • Used in preference: I would rather read than write.
    • Used to suggest quantities of a greater amount: I was told to write more than two pages.
  • Then:
    • A time other than now: She was less aware of consequences then. I will start working then.
    • Next in time, space, or order: First you do your chores, then you can go play.
    • Suggesting a logical conclusion: If you study hard, then your grades will improve.
Their/There/They're
  • Their: Possessive of they/them: Their house is very large.
  • There: Suggesting a place: I put my cup over there.
  • They're: Contraction of they are: They're on the football team.
To/Too/Two
  • To: Preposition; first part of the infinitive of a verb: We went to the library to study.
  • Too: Very,also: I was too fast for him to keep up. He ran fast, too.
  • Two: Number 2: There were two cans of soup left.
We're/Where/Were
  • We're: Contraction of we are/were: We're going swimming this summer.
  • Where: Location: Where is your car?
  • Were: Past tense of the verb to be: We were in serious trouble.
Your/You're
  • Your: Possessive pronoun: Your car is over there.
  • You're: Contraction of you are: You're not leaving until you find your car.
Worse/Worst

  • Worse: Less good or more severe; used in a comparison: Your test score was worse than your previous ones.
  • Worst: Superlative of bad, badly, ill; can't get any more bad: This was the worst grade you ever earned.

No comments:

Post a Comment